Thursday, October 4, 2012

Training Buddy with Sign Language

Signal for Sit
From the day I got Buddy and started training him, I used hand signals with words. Now when I want him to do something, I can use a hand signal or word and either way, he understands. The first signal he learned was sit, I use my pointer finger and point up. An open hand facing him is stop. My hand flat and parallel to the ground is lay down. A fist is quiet, almost the same signal as sit but pointer finger is bent in with the rest of my fingers. I always have the open side of my hand facing him so he doesn't take it as a threat. You can use any hand signal you want to train with, just make sure you are always consistent with the signals so you don't confuse your dog. At first I would forget to use the signals or forget which signals I used for what and then realized if I didn't know what I was doing, neither did Buddy. For rewards I used treats and petting at first, then I slowed on the treats and went to petting and belly rubbing. I can't always have a treat in hand for him so the petting is more convenient, he isn't always expecting food treats and I don't have to worry about whether he will work with me or not, he will and most dogs will because they love attention!!

No comments:

Post a Comment